DESIGNATION: Administration Assistant
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Clerical Assistant
The daily interaction between Activity Centre members, tutors and staff can be a lifeline as contact with others prevents social isolation, encourages participation and creates a sense of wellbeing in individuals.
The Councils three Activity Centres are located at The George Hurd Centre, Pitsea Activity Centre at The Place and the Laindon Activity Centre at Laindon Community Centre, offer a range of daytime activities and social events from Monday to Friday, which give Members the opportunity to make new friends, explore their creative side and develop new skills.
The Activity Centre’s are open to anyone over the age of 50 and currently have a total membership of over 3000 people.
Each Activity Centre has its own Activity Centre Members Committee which meets regularly to put forward suggestions for day trips, socials, events and entertainment.
The Client Services Unit has been established to provide the Directorate with contract control and monitoring service as well as to ensure that the Council’s obligations for the preparation for Compulsory Competition are met.
The postholder is responsible to the Client Service Manager for all administrative matters, associated with the Unit including staffing matters, office services, filing, typing, general administrative support. The Postholder will play a key role in contributing to the smooth running of the Unit.
Due to the nature of the information processed by the Unit, the Postholder will need to exercise a high level of confidentiality in every aspect of the job.
- To provide administrative support to the Unit, including frequent contact with senior staff internally and externally and signing of all correspondence dealing with administrative matters.
- To deal with routine personnel matters including monitoring leave, training, sickness, timekeeping and travel arrangements.
- To operate the customer complaints system, process all complaints to contractors and produce monthly reports of all complaints.
- To raise Purchase Orders for the Units office equipment, furniture, stationery, publications and other services.
- To monitor and control the Units and all delegated budgets and ensure invoices are coded correctly and payments made to contractors.
- Ensure all contracts monitoring computer equipment is operating correctly and order maintenance or repair services as necessary.
- To provide admin support for the Unit by ensuring all office services are provided e.g. stationery, furniture, computers, telecomms and to arrange maintenance when necessary.
- To operate the Customer Complaints Procedure, to follow up any complaints which are not responded to and produce monthly reports on complaints received.
- To monitor budgets, to code and pay invoices and raise Purchase Orders for new requirements.
- To ensure that contract monitoring systems are functioning correctly and that regular reports are being produced and bring any anomalies to the attention of CSM.
- To type tenders and contracts and inform the CSM of programme dates, to ensure they are met to arrange for production of drawings and plans.
- To ensure back-up copies are made of all contractual documents including carrying out housekeeping of computer hard disc.
- To process the units mail, arrange travel itineraries, meetings and attend meetings to take minutes.
- To provide suitable and secure filing systems fro all contractual documentation, to review documents regularly for destruction or achieving.
- To undertake any other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the grade and qualifications of the post.
PERSON SPECIFICATION/SELECTION CRITERIA
- Experience of a broad spectrum of office skills.
- Willingness to use I.T. in operating IBM compatible personal computers and OAS systems, word processing, spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to monitor budget and purchasing.
- Communication skills (oral and written).
- Numerate to a high degree of accuracy, methodical and orderly approach to work.