Job Description and Particulars of Appointment
- Job Title: Driver – Fleet Services
- Post Number:
- Grade and SCP: Grade 5 SCP
- Corporate Function: Passenger Transport Group, Place and Enterprise
Shropshire Council is undergoing a large scale transformation programme aimed at ‘Creating a better future’, which puts improving the quality of life of all local people at the heart of everything we do.
Their satisfaction will drive our decision making and we are committed to changing for the better, by working together in new ways across the whole council and with our local partners. Front line services will be empowered to make decisions on the best form of service delivery and will have control of the necessary resources to do so.
As a member of the Specialist Transport and Fleet Team within the Passenger Transport Group (PTG) you will support the delivery of the transformation programme in line with the Council’s vision, values and strategic objectives.
The PTG provides a wide range of passenger transport services for Schools, Colleges, Special Educational Needs Pupils, Social Care and Public Transport passengers. The team are committed to providing high performing transport solutions for its clients at a competitive cost using innovative procurement solutions.
2. Level & Purpose of Post
The post holder will:
- be responsible to the Specialist Travel Team Manager who will have overall responsibility for their appraisal, management, health & safety and training.
The post holder will:
- Provide driving duties on behalf of Children’s Services and/or Adult Social Care client
- Assist in coordinating the day to day deployment and operation of Fleet Services to achieve specified outcomes for Children and Adult Services clients
- Be responsible for safely transporting children and/or adults to school, respite care or day services.
- Provide safe and efficient transport to school or day services on behalf of Shropshire Council
- To assist the Operations Officers in deploying all Fleet services vehicles and staff to ensure effective service delivery
- Assist in dealing with operational issues and make appropriate transport arrangements to resolve
- To maintain accurate and up to date information for all transport services
- To assist the Operations Officers in deploying all Fleet services vehicles and staff to ensure service delivery
- Liaise with and assist the Specialist Travel Coordinator (Fleet Services) on a regular basis to ensure that services and staff training are efficient and up to date
- Carry out and complete daily vehicle checks before route commences and ensure that vehicles are properly prepared and clean for their route
- Support staff in ensuring all risk assessments are up to date in the vehicle pack
- Support staff in ensuring route and vehicle diaries are completed and accurate
- Have a thorough knowledge of fitting seats, harnesses, clamping systems and other equipment to vehicles as required and regularly inspect equipment and replace faulty or damaged equipment as necessary
- Be aware of issues and challenges that may arise from passengers’ special needs and deal with these appropriately and sensitively as advised in the individual passenger risk assessment
- Assisting in providing a full range of customer care services, offering polite, timely, friendly and supportive assistance to all passengers and customers whether this is face to face, over the telephone or email
- Assisting in resolving all service problems and difficulties that may arise
- Assisting in dealing with operational issues and make appropriate arrangements
- Assist the passenger assistant with passengers when necessary
- Adhere to all the Councils policies and procedures in relation to Passenger Transport
- Routes will be allocated by the Specialist Travel Operations Officer – Fleet Services and will be subject to change to meet the needs of the service
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of effective liaison and working relationships with Clients as well as Head Teachers and school staff, Adult Services, Home and Centre Managers and other staff, Councillors, volunteers, Health Authority agencies, taxi operators, bus operators, colleagues, the general public, adjacent authorities etc.
These duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The post holder will be expected to become involved in a range of work to enable the service to respond effectively to the changing requirements of the Council and changes affecting the workforce.
5. Performance & Customer Focus
The post holder will ensure they:
- adopt a customer focused approach when delivering their service, ensuring engagement with service users and maintenance of an appropriate personal profile,
- act as an advocate for their service and work collaboratively with colleagues across the whole Council to meet the needs of the people of Shropshire,
- meet individual, service and personal development targets agreed through the Personal Development Review Process, learn from experience and are committed to continuous improvement individually and as an employee of the Council,
- work with colleagues to meet the team’s key performance indicators, support a culture of team working and ensure the team functions successfully in support of the Council’s corporate and service objectives.
- meet the behaviours and competencies adopted by the Council in the way in which they achieve their objectives and carry out their work.
a)The conditions of service are those laid down by Shropshire Council, which have been adopted and amended as necessary from those laid down by the National Joint Council for Local Government Services.
b)The post is based at Longden Road Depot, 107 Longden Road, SHREWSBURY, SY3 9DS
c)This post is subject to the following:
- The post is permanent for TBC hours per week, some posts are term time (5 hours per day split between morning and afternoon)
- Occasional work may be required,
- The post subject to the Council's Flexible Working Hours Scheme and at times additional hours may be required dependant on the needs of the passengers
d)This post carries eligibility to join the Local Government Pension Scheme. Information about this will be sent with any formal offer of appointment.
e)Annual leave entitlement is pro rata for 25 days per year plus additional days for long service. Bank holidays also apply. A concessionary day at Christmas Bank Holiday is at the Council's discretion.
f)The appointment is subject to one month’s notice in writing on either side.
g)The appointment is subject to six months’ satisfactory probationary service during which time the notice period will be one week on either side.
h)Smoking is not allowed in Council buildings, in Council vehicles or in any Council place of work.
8. Pre-employment Requirements
The appointment is subject to receipt of the following pre-employment checks;
- Satisfactory employment references,
- Medical report,
- Evidence of the qualifications required for the post/listed on your application form,
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such all applicants who are appointed to this post will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service before the appointment is confirmed. This check will include details of cautions, reprimands or warnings as well as convictions and non-conviction information. Once appointed, the successful applicant(s) will also be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure at pre-determined intervals during the course of their employment whilst in this post.