To provide a professional, proficient and cost effective property function for the Isle of Wight Council to help ensure that best use is made of the Council’s land and property holdings. All work to be in accordance with professional standards as well as the Council’s standards, policies and priorities.
Major Job Tasks:
1. To assist the Strategic Assets Team and other property teams (Corporate Property Management and Corporate Property Maintenance) as required with providing a professional, experienced and quality property service.
2. To assist officers of the council on all General Practice property matters as required. Candidates need not be proficient at all of the following areas of surveying work – the successful candidates may choose to specialise in a particular area of work, or may wish to be involved in a full range.
3. Areas of surveying work will include:
• providing or obtaining valuation advice, for example to dispose of property to special purchasers or inform options for alternative use/service delivery
• advising on title/leases/legal documents in conjunction with colleagues in the Legal department to understand the value or regeneration opportunities of an asset,
• acquisitions, for example to enable regeneration schemes to be delivered or to assist service areas with their property needs
• disposals, for example former operational properties such as closed school sites, or the statutory transfer of education properties to academy trusts
• supporting the council’s accommodation rationalisation strategy, transferring property that delivers council services to the private sector/ parish and town councils (such as public toilets), surrendering rented property and disposing of surplus property
• providing property assistance to enable delivery of major corporate projects
• actively identify development opportunities within the council’s property estate
• applying for planning permission to redevelop surplus council land, to maximise the value
• varying/removing covenants on former IWC land, maximising the value due and enabling regeneration opportunities to be delivered
• undertaking other general practice surveying activities as required, such as seeking/granting landlord’s consent for works, managing overage payments due, etc.
• negotiating rent reviews, lease renewals and new lettings as appropriate, whether as landlord or tenant, along with pedestrian and vehicular rights of access, etc.
• appointing dilapidations surveyors to manage dilapidations issues as necessary
• negotiating the surrender of properties leased by IWC which may no longer be required, on the most beneficial terms to the council
• undertaking site and property inspections as necessary, including measured inspections
• representing the Council at a range of meetings and negotiations as necessary to deliver the above
• Considerable post qualification experience.
• Considerable experience of a variety of General Practice property disciplines noted above, with a successful track record.
• Experience of local planning authorities and the planning framework.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Good inter-personal skills and confidence to be able to effectively deliver the above.
• IT competent.
• Driving licence.