The Safeguarding Officer will support the Safeguarding & Equalities Team Leader and deliver the operational duties of their service/business area. The post holder will work with colleagues across the organisation in line with KNH’s core behaviours and values and contribute to the delivery of the organisation’s purpose, vision and objectives, ensuring positive outcomes for the business and KNH customers.
A key component of the role will be to directly contribute to delivering high performance and continuous improvement within the service/business area in line with KNH’s Service Plans, Medium Term Financial Plan, the joint Delivery Plan and Kirklees Council’s key objectives to deliver a customer focused service.
The Safeguarding & Equalities Officer will support the Team Leader with the effective development and implementation of KNH’s policies, guidance and procedures for safeguarding in relation to child protection, adult safeguarding (including domestic abuse), safe recruitment and procurement activities. The post holder will support the Team Leader with the effective implementation of KNH’s Equality Strategy, ensuring compliance and raising awareness of equality issues for staff and customers.
Role Duties and Responsibilities
- Specific objectives and deliverables will be agreed as part of your annual performance and development review (PDR) process, the points below are a summary of your main duties and responsibilities.
- Work with the Team Leader to ensure the Safeguarding and Equality policy and associated procedures are implemented, embedded consistently across KNH, and regularly reviewed.
- Ensure there are systems in place for effective and secure record keeping and ongoing management of concerns, providing support to employees, Board Members, volunteers and contractors in completion of appropriate documentation.
- To deal with enquires or information requests from other agencies in relation to safeguarding concerns.
- Provide administrative support to the Team Leader and prepare reports as required.
- To submit regular performance reports to the management team as required.
- To represent KNH on partnership meetings linked to the Safeguarding agenda and Equality (Safeguarding Board meetings and Diversity & Inclusion Steering Group etc..)
- To ensure all staff are up to date with the appropriate Safeguarding and Equalities training for their roles
- To facilitate the delivery of the Safeguarding Champions Forum.
- Recommend initiatives, priorities and provide updates to the Diversity & Inclusion Steering Group as required.
- Work with the Team Leader on the achievement of equality accreditations.
- Keep up to date in terms of legislation, new and or emerging, regulations, policy, procedures and developments relating to Safeguarding & Equalities and develop mechanisms for sharing appropriate information through the business.
- Represent the organisation at stakeholder events and briefings on local, regional and national policy matters.
- Take a proactive role in all operational aspects of relevant business/service area.
- Work collaboratively with the Team Leader to monitor, analyse and deliver improvements across all relevant performance indicator areas in order to increase customer satisfaction.
- When required present verbal or written reports to the service area Management Team, KNH Senior Leadership Team.
- Participate in organisation wide service reviews and service planning as required and ensure any arising actions are implemented.
- Provide leadership by acting as an ambassador and a positive role model through the promotion of KNH’s purpose, vision, behaviours, achievements and successes.
- Organise and prioritise own workload, including identifying risks relating to systems and processes, proposing solutions, and advising colleagues on business systems etc.
- Escalate issues that may impact on financial resources or operational delivery, and issues pertaining to risk, media or political attention.
- To inform and make effective decision making to meet individual, team and overall businesses objectives in line with delegated authority levels, Financial Procedures Rules (FPR’s) and Contract Procedure Rules (CPR’s).
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS
- Proactively contribute to the achievement of operational effectiveness and service excellence by providing an efficient, professional and customer focused service to all customers of KNH.
- Develop and maintain relationships across a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, including managers, employees, trade unions, partners and customers.
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT AND PROCUREMENT
- Manage any delegated budgets and resources in accordance with delegated authority and KNH’s Financial Procedure Rules. Take responsibility for required corrective action when necessary.
- Support the Team Leader in the annual budget setting process for your service area and manage delegated budgets and resources in accordance with delegated authority and KNH’s Financial Procedure Rules. Take responsibility for required corrective action when necessary.
- Support the Service Manager to ensure the overall quality, cost effectiveness and value for money of your business/service area(s).
- Support the Service Manager to benchmark the performance of your business/service area and set ‘smart’ targets which bring about improvement within a Value for Money framework.
- Contribute to developing new products and services which contribute to the financial viability and sustainability of the organisation.
LEGAL, RISK and COMPLIANCE
- Embed a culture of risk management and appropriately assess, monitor and mitigate operational risks in line with KNH’s Risk Management Strategy.
- Effectively manage health and safety issues in your area of responsibility in line with the KNH Health and Safety Policy and associated legislation.
- In relation to safeguarding ensure that you comply with the guidance on the recoding and reporting of concerns in line with the KNH Safeguarding Policy.
- Ensure all areas of service delivery are up to date in terms of legislative and regulatory changes and adopt best practice in all relevant key functions.
CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Be an active team player and develop strong, supportive relationships with all work colleagues in the spirit of ‘Working With’ principles.
- Actively promote and be committed to delivering KNH’s Purpose, Vision, Corporate Values and Behaviours.
- Assist in the development of and implementation of good working practices in line with KNH’s Health and Safety and Equality and Diversity policies.
- Ensure you comply with the confidentiality and information security policies at all times.
- Maintain accurate information systems in line with service requirements.
- Actively participate in influencing and contributing to the development of innovative solutions to improve services within the organisation.
- Actively participate in a range of internal and external meetings/briefings, events, working groups that will enhance service delivery and the profile of the business.
- Participate in the identification of learning and development requirements and attend training courses, seminars, conferences and work shadowing in line with agreed Personal Development Reviews (PDR’s).
- Fulfil any other duties commensurate with the grade and falling within the scope of the post as may be reasonably required.
- GCSE (or equivalent) Grade 4 (C) or above in English & Maths or equivalent.
- Educated to Level 4 (A-Level)
- Relevant professional qualification or ability to demonstrate equivalent experience.
- Proven track record of working in a Safeguarding or Equality role within a large scale organisation
- Experience of writing reports and policy documents for internal and external audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication with the ability to express effectively and sensitively, in person, via the telephone and in writing, with a range of stakeholders, internal and external
- Demonstrate an ability and track record of Influencing, challenging and developing innovative solutions to improve services within the organisation
- Skill and ability to work with suppliers, customers and partner organisation to achieve common goals
- Literacy and numeracy to a standard required to produce reports and related material maintain accurate records and a high level of computer literacy to interrogate various software packages and online systems to produce or access useful data.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Legislation in relation to the role
- Able to work flexibly and be responsive to change in order to improve performance
- Good team working skills with the ability to work effectively as part of a team coupled with the ability to work on one’s own to achieve results
Able to demonstrate ability to develop and implement innovative ideas to improve the service or way of working
Demonstrates that they are passionate about their work and what KNH is trying to achieve
Treats people as individuals, courteous, kind, and takes into account cultural sensitivities.
Able to demonstrate delivery of excellent customer service, within a customer focused environment
Proven track record of being transparent and open